Thought for Today...

"The purpose of our lives is to be happy." --Dalai Lama

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Keeping my promise

Well, it's almost been one week, so I'm posting.  :D  I am working a 4 day work-weekend, so not a lot of 'fun' going on, but all is good.  Here's the update:
40x40:  I worked last Monday, but Tuesday I met with my trainer (two free sessions for new members) and took my first yoga class in a long while.  I love yoga and it was a great class (complete with scented oils and a scalp massage), but it kicked my wrists (carpal tunnel + down facing dog = excessive numbness and pain).  I'll wear my braces next time to see if that helps.  Wednesday I took my first pilates class (kicked my hips/shoulders).  Excellent class...wore me out.  Thursday, back for 2nd session with trainer.  It has been a LOOOOOONG time since I did push ups...not too shabby.  But holding plank for 1 full minute...good grief. That sucked.  Then I came home and Lon and I did some much needed yard work in 150% humidity...yucko.  Looks good, though.  So...not a bad start to my 40x40 challenge.
Looking forward to 6 days off (yay for a non-traditional schedule) and getting back to the Y.
Friday-Monday = at the hospital.

BTW, Geri Psych can be fun.  Today a patient was calling and feeding the chickens and shooing them off farm equipment.  All with his eyes closed sitting back relaxing in a recliner.  And something (who knows what) got him so tickled, he made himself cry laughing so hard.  I would love to peek inside his brain and see what he sees...but only for a moment.  The brain is such a wondrous and scary place.  Appreciate your intact memory and ability to do your mundane activities of daily living.  They are precious.


1 comment:

sailinglunasea said...

Yoga tip!
When doing downward dog (or plank - anything that aggravates your carpal tunnel)be sure to press thru your entire hand - all the way out to your finger tips. This take some pressure off of your wrist. If that is not enough, you can also use fists instead - keeping your writs completely straight. Modifications make it all happen!

Good for you on hitting all of your goals - sometimes it the first week or 2 that are the hardest. :)

Here chicken, chicken, chicken...