Thought for Today...

"The purpose of our lives is to be happy." --Dalai Lama

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rain Barrels

Lon did something completely unexpected and signed us up for a Rain Barrel making class.  It was offered by the Master Gardeners of Hamilton County and for the low, low price of $25/barrel, they provided the supplies and instruction.  We made two.  :)  Next step is painting them.  The paint will keep the sun's UV rays from cracking the plastic, food-grade barrels and it will be fun to do!  (Yes, I'll post pics...even if they don't turn out as the masterpieces I'm imagining.)  Then, of course, we have to finally put gutters up on our garage to catch said rain.  It's been on our project board since we moved in and after the deluge of the past few weeks, we really, really need to get moving on this one.  Weird how most of the country has been suffering through drought conditions and we've had trees uprooting around here due to soaking wet soil and steep hillsides.
Right now I'm baking some fresh blueberry muffins so those yummy blueberries from Jemison, AL don't go bad.  I think I'll be making some fig preserves this afternoon.  Lon is hesitant to try the fresh figs and I can't eat them all myself before they go bad.  Besides...I've never made preserves...should be fun!

No comments: