Thought for Today...

"The purpose of our lives is to be happy." --Dalai Lama

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Four days and a wake up...


...and then I'll take my final! Been a great 1st year. Difficult at times, but always very interesting. On my surgery observation day I was able to observe a bilateral total knee replacement. Bone flying, tissue burning (cauterization), hammers, saws, drills...LOVED IT! Then I saw a ureter stent placement for a patient with a HUGE kidney stone in her ureter. Took like 5 minutes total...amazing. Really enjoyed surgery...just another route I may want to travel as an RN.
My super sweet mother-in-law, Mary, is coming to visit us next Friday and she's staying for 10 days! We can't wait!!! Last time we saw her was bittersweet (good to see her, but heartbreaking reason), but this time is all for fun. We are so looking forward to showing her our city and enjoying her company. And I'll be out of school so we can play every day! I do have to work one day while she's here, but I'm sure she and Lon will enjoy some mother-son time without me. :)
Liberty Shiraz has been opened! And it is tasty...mmmmmmm. It's a very light Shiraz with a little buttery taste and a slight dryness, but a clean finish. It's not the berry-heavy, big mouth feel we're used to with our favorite Australian Shiraz styles, but it's great for spring/summer. We didn't plan it that way, but we're glad it's not heavier. Perfect for a picnic...slightly chilled served with cheeses, crusty bread, olives and some fresh fruit. My mouth is watering already. Maybe we'll have to do that while Mary's here...Once we (finally) get the labels made and on the bottles, I'll post some pics.
Can't believe it's already almost May. Lon told me nursing school would fly by and it sort of is...I've heard horror stories about 3rd semester, so I'll be glad when I've completed and passed it in December. 1/5 of the previous class failed 3rd semester...so it's no picnic apparently. I'll enjoy my time away this summer, but will have to be vigilant in keeping up my skills/meds/studying prior to the fall. Just think...in only one short year I'll be graduating, getting ready to take the NCLEX and get my RN license. Wow. Exciting and intimidating...but I'm loving my classes and clinicals so I think I may have finally found my calling. It only took me 35 years. :)
Til next time, as my good friend Willy has said many times, 'If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.'

4 comments:

hatched said...

I'm so happy for you. XOXO!

Rachel said...

Thank you!!! All done. :) Til August....

sailinglunasea said...

Way to go, my dearie! So happy that you've found your calling. And 35 is YOUNG! Heck, I still don't know, and I'm already 2 years past that...

Still need to come see you and your fabulous city. When do you go back to school?

Jenny said...

Are you making wine? Did you ever try our homebrew? We haven't make any in awhile, but we made a decent IPA and an interesting (read: not so yummy) wheat beer once upon a time (pre-twins).

I've no doubt you'll succeed just fine through 3rd semester! But first enjoy the time off this summer.