Thought for Today...

"The purpose of our lives is to be happy." --Dalai Lama

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Success!

Sweet Freedom wasn't due to be uncorked until September 30th...but we tried a bottle one month into aging (not so great) and another one earlier this evening. It's 10 days before the big 'uncorking,' but curiosity got the best of me and I popped another one open. Success! It's tasty! We are so excited our first batch of wine doesn't suck! Especially after the funky 'young' taste it had less than two months ago...we were going to be really upset if 30 potentially drinkable bottles of wine were all for naught. But patience apparently IS a virtue and aging works wonders! Looking forward to trying a 6-month bottle and a 1 year bottle...supposedly just keeps getting better. Of course, most wines should be consumed within a few years of bottling. Only the really 'special' ones can be aged for decades. Otherwise they turn to vinegar. Then I guess they are good for cooking. I myself would rather drink them while cooking. :) So, next time you're in the vicinity or I'm in yours, we'll have to have a little tasting.
On the school front...things are going well. Working WAY less than expected, but probably another blessing in disguise. My first exam is Monday...looking forward to it, but a little anxious at the same time. Actually set my alarm for 0530 this morning to start my last leg of studying. Planning on a 0600 am wake up call tomorrow to finish it off. I can get a lot more done when I'm not tempted by MI winning football games (Go Blue!!!!) and wanting to hang out with Lon. Those are my favorite times...that's why studying is better when he's asleep and there's nothing good on TV. ha, ha, ha! Did schedule in some breaks from the books to have breakfast (break with Lon), have lunch (check out game...we won!), went for a walk (between storms) and then took the evening off for relaxing and dinner. Tomorrow has its own schedule too...kinda have to do that. Makes the sitting down with books and a computer more doable...knowing something fun is coming up shortly.
Guess that's enough for now...time for bed.
Today's Thought:
In seeking wisdom thou art wise; in imagining that thou hast attained it - thou art a fool.
Lord Chesterfield (Guess I'll be learning something until I'm dead. I'm good with that.)

4 comments:

hatched said...

Can't wait to taste the wine! We are making a big push on working on the house this week, then we're done until the first of next year. I hope sometime in October we can come visit, if that's cool with your and Lon's schedules. I am so proud of you and all your hard work with school and working. You inspire me!

Rachel said...

You are welcome anytime! Oct would be beautiful, too...fall colors should be starting towards the end of the month. You are too sweet, Tina...thank you. Good luck on the renovations!
Got a bottle with your name on it, Chickie!

sailinglunasea said...

So glad it turned out! I wonder when we'll make it up that way... Always seems to be something going on. Talk to you soon. I won't say save a bottle for me, since I don't know when that would be - but at least drink on for me!

Rachel said...

Hey Jenn! I have one with your name on it, too...Our first batch made 30 bottles...and we're looking into our 2nd attempt. A red this time. So that will mean 30 MORE bottles! Our road trips are on hold for a while too, but if we make it to Savannah before you come up here, we'll pack one (or two, or three).